Many of us have a dream to join Bangladesh Army/Navy/Air Force. They have to pass through an important step shortly known as I.S.S.B or Inter Service Selection Board. Please have a look at the below contents.
Inter Service Selection Board procedure:
It is mainly a four day campaign
1st Day:Screening test
- IQ( Intelligence question) If you fail in this task you will finish your I.S.S.B campaign here. You will be sent to home. If pass stay put for next task.
- P.P.D.T (Picture perception and display test) candidates who passed the IQ test are able to take this task) If you fail in this task you can not but you have to finish I.S.S.B campaign here.If You pass in this task you will remain there for next 3 days.
Psychological Test (1st day Afternoon,Those who pass the above 2 task both will stay there for next 3 days. They will never be Extrude out )
These tests are in four parts and they are furnished below :
- Thematic Apperception Test (TAT) In a word-Picture description
- Word Association Test (WAT) simply Sentence making, Vocabulary etc
- Situation Reaction Test (SRT)
- Self Description Test (SD)
- PGT (Progressive Group Task
- HGT(Half Group Task)
- Extempore Speech
- IO(Individual Obstacles)
- DP viva (Deputy President)
- Group discussion
- Group Planning Exercise (sometimes known as Military Planning Exercise)
- Command Task
- Final Group Task
- President of I.S.S.B takes viva (it is applicable who scored lower marks, others will not face this viva)
- Board meeting and group wise result:The candidates are required to appear before the complete Board of Examiners comprising of President, DP President, all the psychologists, all the GTO’s and Technical Officer. After the Board Meeting is over, the final result is declared within ½ an hour.
Result of ISSB:
Green and red cards are given as a memento of result.Red card means you are not selected. Green card holder will join their respective forces via Medical test at a declared date next.
Inter Service Selection Board Tips:
IQ and PPDT : Strategy is a key word here. Answer your question as swift as you can. But don’t make a mess because every single mark is counted. About PPDT, Since every test is co-related, be positive in what you write.Your pen picture should tally with your thoughts pen down.You must have to strict about your logic. don’t think with others logic. Your pragmatic answer will help you. Try to give your cent percent effort with full concentration.
WAT Word Association Test: Time given is 15 seconds to write.So be quick and write what cross your mind at first time. The sentence need not be grammatically correct or the word used just to write a sentence. Remember this is not a Make a sentence type exam.This exam is taken to extract your inner child. Your agility and reaction type and style are marked here. SO you have to be careful.
SRT (Situational Reaction Test): the tests contain day-to-day practical incidents that you will be facing in your real life.Write what actions you, Will be taking in case you are in those situations.There are no right or wrong answers; best approach is to write a positive yet a good citizen will do. Here your qualities such as Courage, helping attitude, empathy, responsibility, social interaction, boldness, honesty etc are tested. Write down the answers on a sheet of paper so that you can compare the same with some suggestions. (Never copy the suggestions for it might lead you to wrong conclusions). More ever you must have a certain mindset and plan to reach your goal. Pragmatic approach is important.
The Thematic Story writing will be 12 in all. 11 of them are having some picture and one does not have any. You will get about 3 minutes for each story. Do not write stereotype stories. Try different theme for different stories. Remember you are the Hero; the aim should be to bring out leadership qualities of the hero through these stories.
The Qualities that you are to project through your stories are:-
- DECENT BEHAVIOR
- DETERMINATION AND DECISION MAKING
- ENDURANCE AND
- HARD WORK
Only during the perception test you are required to give The age, sex, mood, and number of group of the persons you see in the picture. Your story should such that it suits the picture yet tells The past is that what led to this situation What is happening in the picture? What will happen in the future?
Every candidate will be asked to write a self- appraisal during the psychological test. This will be the last part of the Psychological test. The aim of this is to make you commit about your-self regarding your knowledge about your-self.
The usual headings under which you will be asked to give out the appraisal is:-
a) What is you personal opinion about your self?
b) What does your parents think of you?
c) What does your best friend think about you?
d) What does your worst enemy think of you?
e) What does your teacher think of you?
f) What are your strong points?
g) What are your weak points?
h) What are the qualities you would like to develop?
Tips: Go systematic. Suggested headings:
1) About your parents and place of birth and family background
2) Physical Attributes
3) Social Contacts
INDIVIDUAL & GROUP TASKS
By carefully following the suggestions you will be able to Project your OLQ (Officer Like Qualities) to the selectors at the Services
Remember to be natural and calm, be your self, do your best, put the interest of the group before your own, and always be alert. By being yourself your qualities are easily seen by the selectors. All the selectors are well trained, so please do not use any unfair means are bluff.
What do they judge at ISSB in Group Tasks ?
A) Assessment of Candidate’s Participation within the formulated Rules
B) Planning and Intelligent Assessment of the situation
C) Individual Quality in context to the Group
D) Assuming control of a Group to execute a task
E) Assess the problem from different angles
F) Assign responsibility to Team mates
G) Ability to realize the Potential of Group Members
H) Capacity to motivate others
J) Creative Thinking
K) Putting the Group before the Self
L) Helping Tendency
M) Originality of Thought
N) Quick Decision Making
O) Cooperation with Others
P) Group Integration
Q) Planning and Execution
R) Leadership Initiative
Story Writing Tips
Thematic writing is given to judge your imagination and positive thoughts. When you start writing the story remember the following:
The story should have a Past ,the present (i.e what is happening in the scene) ,The Future.
In the story the hero/heroine may be seen/or imagined ,the hero should bring out his good quality. ie that any one of the 15 OLQ already told to you in this ISSB Handbook
The story should be about 12 to 15 sentences -3 for Past,6 for Present,3 for future.
Inter Service Selection Board Tricks:
Try to do the followings:
- On arrival introduce your self to the reception staff and show your documents.
- Make as many friends as possible at the reception center itself.
- Remember you are being judged by your own batch mates right from the word go. Behave like a perfect Gentleman.
- Keep a record of all the Bio data, for you will need this to fill up your arrival info form.
- Do not give any false statement.
- Always dress up neatly and appear smart. Before you leave your room spend a minute in front of the mirror. A man / woman is judged by others, by what he wears and what he speaks.
- At the railway station itself buy a city guide it will help you to know about the city and its places of importance, bus route, train timings etc.,
- Always address the group as Gentlemen, or friends. His/her chest number allotted by the board, should be used. (During Discussion and test only.)
- Know each individual of your group by name his qualification; this will help you during GTOs(group task officer) Task. Try and become popular with them.
- Take initiative, be co-operative. Listen to others. As the time is at premium during discussions, speak up. Be bold and express your self clearly be brief and do not repeat what others have said. It is better to speak either first or second, so that you will have an opportunity to put forward your points.
- During Psychological tests, Always write positive sentences/story it should bring out the officer like qualities (of which you have been taught.)
- During interview if you do not know any answer politely say “I am sorry Sir, I don’t Know.”
- Be calm, cool and attentive. Smile while you enter the interviewing room and also say thank you, at the time of departure. Your handshake should be firm.
- The interviewing officer is a qualified gentleman, never bluff, you will get caught and spoil you chances of success.
- Be confident, rehearse some favorite questions.
- No lies/false hood please.
- You have no bad points except to over work to get perfection in any task under taken
- Do not Waste your time unnecessarily read some magazines.
- Don’t be tense take it easy, always think before you answer.
Try to know the things:
- The rank structure of the forces
- The current events
- Knowledge about your town
- Your projects
- Why you want to join the forces?
- What will you do in case you do not get selected at selected?(this is to see how determined you are in achieving your aim.)
- Have a plan B in case you exhaust all the chances then you will Take up ——- job.
- When the interviewer asks you to organize a trekking event remember the following points; or any other event the heading under which you can cover the preparations are:
- Initial Preparation
- Specific Items need for the event.
- Communication On the day
- Keeping the journal and recording the event After the event
- Maintain proper Eye contact with the person who asks you the Question. This shows your Confidence and honesty.
- Avoid using frequently words and phrases like” I mean”, ” You know”, “well”, “as such” etc.
- In the end you want to ask the officer any questions please do so, if not then so politely “I have no questions to ask you sir.”
- Last but not the least, BE NATURAL. When the interview ends.
- If offered a Handshake, do so, if not just say, “Thank you for the wonderful evening and put the chair back to its original position before leaving. Leave the place with a warm smile and a nod of head. Close the door gently and leave the room.
Appearance makes the man. You should dress up for the occasion. Most of the time you will be asked to attend the Interview in the PT. Kit it is better for you to keep a small pocket Comb and a neat and clean Handkerchief. Freshen up yourself before you set foot in the interviewers room. Your warm smile, excellent etiquette and a firm handshake will be starting point.As we have
brought out earlier, RAPID Fire questions are the order of the. It means you will be asked to answer a number of questions after listening to them just once. Please listen to the question carefully. If you have not understood the question then ask for the clarification. Try and answer the questions in the same sequence as put forth to you. Since the distance between you and the interviewing officer would be about 6 feet, you are expected to talk in a loud and clear voice. Take your time think and answer questions.DO NOT TELL A LIE. You will be caught.
Interviewing Officers are usually hold the Rank of Colonel or its equivalent rank in the Navy/Air Force.Here are some of the tips which you will find it useful while facing the Interviewing officer:
- Be tidy and well dressed. Wear simple clothes but will fitting clothes.Do not wear Jewelery
- On entering the room wish the panel and do what they say.
- Do not get over anxious. A minor degree of nervousness is expected from everyone.
- Be Yourself
- Be polite and use words like “Please”, “Sir”, Do not sound egoistic.
- Be natural and never convey extravagant ideas like ” I would die for my country” or ” The best profession is the Defense Forces “.
- Do not lie or beat around the bush. If you are not sure of the answer say that you do not know. You are not going to be penalized for say it.
- Be brief, loud and clear.
- The major questions like Why do you want to join the Army/Navy/Air Force?. There are no perfect answer to this question.While answering it try to convey 4 or 5 facts such as:
- Defence services offers a Challenge to a young person
- Merit is given due recognition in the Forces.
- I will get an opportunity to learn and experience the latest technological inventions.
- I like an out door life rather than a 10 to 5 desk job.
- I will get an opportunity to mingle with all sorts of people and persons from different parts of the country.
- In my opinion the Uniformed forces offers reasonable pay and perks
More to that
- Be truthful in stating your hobbies. be prepared to answer questions about it.
- High light your achievement in sports, NCC and other extra curricular activities.
- Current affairs be a regular reader of magazines and news paper.
- When a situation is given to you think and answer be very specific and answer in the most practical way.
- Thanks the Officer for his time before you leave the room.
For any query leave a comment below.
ENDURANCE AND Know each individual of your group by name his qualification; this will help you during GTOs (group task officer) Task. Try and become popular with them.
Ex-cadet Wasik Shams
Jhenaidah Cadet College (2005-2011)